Monday, March 23, 2009

I Want My Phosphate Back!

Until several months ago, I didn't even know I loved phosphate. Apparently, our dishwashing liquid is full of it and it is damaging our precious Spokane River (they say it contributes to insane amounts of algae in the river). I have a very good dishwasher; the kind where you can put a plate with caked on leftovers from a day ago and it comes out clean. A couple of months ago, I ran out of my bulk dishwashing soap from Costco and had to go buy some of the new phosphate free, river friendly soap. This is what my dishes have looked like ever since. Everything has this terrible film/stain/I don't know what on it now. You can't see through my glasses and my black utensils are practically white. I am so tired of my dishes looking dirtier after going through the dishwasher. I love the river. I spend my whole summer there but somethings got to give here. Call me a complainer or. . .GASP. . . not green but I want my phosphate back. Perhaps next year when the rest of the state has to comply with this ordeal, some blessed company will come out with a phosphate free product that actually washes your dishes. In the mean time, my mom is heading to see my brother who lives outside the restricted area and has strict instructions to bring me home some soap that works!

5 comments:

amy said...

That's funny because before I got to the end of your post, I was going to write and tell you that we snuck some phosphate into your parents home and could hook you up too. But it looks like that is already on the plans for our weekend with the fam.

Zibby Merritt said...

Seriously. What gives. I am a phosphate-lover as well. Don't tell the tree-hugger-river-lovers. I smuggled some in from North Idaho. After giving my husband a big lecture about loving the fish and their eco-system I succumbed to what works. The eco stuff is crap. I'm with you, Kacey. Loved the post! Zibby

Heather said...

Wow. That stinks! I'm with you though...I'd go phosphate all the way! Good talking with you the other day. Wish we could have gotten together over Spring Break. We need to soon!

Nicole said...

We have two large boxes of Cascade that we smuggled back from Tri Cities at our last tournament! Don't tell.

Black Family said...

Hey I was totally thinking the same thing....then I found this really good stuff at Costco that is phosphate free....it is called Wave...organic lavender...now I am sold....but it took me awhile to find some good stuff...okay I totally sound like a commercial..