Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tweaking Tradition

For the past several years, my mom, sister, and I have been making mint chocolate truffles for the holidays. The recipe was passed down from my Grandma Frederickson who supervised our first few truffle sessions before she passed away.
It's funny how you get stuck in a rut. We always make the truffles at my mom's house on a day we can be without children. My mom always handles the melting of the dipping chocolate. . .if you're not careful it gets too hot and turns gray. My sister has perfected the mixing of the middles (room temperature ingredients is the key). I am the official dipper. My Grandma Fred said it's because I have the coldest hands (except for the year I was pregnant and almost all of them went gray, she was sure my hot maternity hands had messed them up.)
This year, due to crazy schedules, we did truffles at my house without REAL margarine (because no store in Spokane sells it any more) and there were 6 kids at the house. Luckily, they turned out great and Carter was thrilled to get in on some of the action. Hand dipping is a skill that must be developed. His first efforts were not too shabby but we did set them aside for him to eat himself. They weren't quite up to par for giving away!
YUM-O!

No comments: