Sunday, September 4, 2011

People I Admire #4 and #5

Norm and Ele Hamilton One of the best parts about moving North a few years ago, was being closer to Garth's Grandparents. They have an amazing farm in the middle of the now booming 5 mile prairie. Garth's most fond memories of growing up happened on this farm, and now my kids have the opportunity to experience some of the same things. It is such a blessing.
I admire Norm and Ele for many reasons. There is the fact that they have been happily married for 50 years! They are also some of the hardest working people I have ever met. But the thing that I most admire and want to emulate is their generosity. They are selfless people who are always giving to others. When we threw them their anniversary party, they were uncomfortable having people fuss over them, because they are usually the ones fussing over others. During the summer, I practically grocery shop at their house. Ele has two incredible gardens and she is always giving me what she harvests. They also let us pick raspberries, cherries, plumbs, and apples from their orchard that I preserve and use all year. Ele won't just give me plumbs for jam. . .she will juice them, pre-measure the juice, and give them to me in neat containers. It's those kinds of little things that go beyond simple generosity. Ele spends every Monday quilting with some ladies from church. They donate all the quilts they make. When they learned of Carter's blister issue, they would bring me socks they found that they hoped would be good for his feet. The examples go on and on and they don't just save that generosity for family. I am so blessed to have them in my life and the lives of my children. I hope that I can give of what I have as freely as they do.

No comments: