Thursday, May 5, 2011

This is What Mother's Day is All About

I hesitate to admit that I don't like the pressure of small holidays like Mother's Day, Father's Day and Valentine's Day. I always celebrate with the obligatory card/gift/whatever. But am I the only one that feels like it is often contrived? If my kids pretend to be nice and loving just one day of the year, it really doesn't do much for me.

Last week I drove down to Utah with my mom and the kids to attend my cousin's wedding. I was gone for 8 days. I got home hours after Garth left on a business (and golf) trip to Palm Springs. When I walked into the house, it was spotless (granted he didn't have any kids messing things up) but honestly, I expected that. Garth loves to come home from a trip to a clean house. What made me smile and eventually tear up is all of the things I noticed that he did while I was gone. He weeded, barked the front yard, transplanted hostas, planted at least 10 new plants around the yard, purchased lilacs that I mentioned I would like in the back, mowed the lawn, started building our chicken coup, planted my pots in the front, hung new flower baskets on my porch,and got the builders going on our new shop! I never asked him to do any of this. . .no "honey do" list has ever been made in this house and yet he thinks of the things that need to be done, and does them. I am so grateful and it (along with the super sweet card he left for me on the counter) made me feel loved, valued, and cared for. So much more than flowers or a card would have done on the designated day for Mothers.





Yesterday Sydney came downstairs with a stuffed bunny and a book called "I Love You, Little One" (that has been on her shelf since she was born) that had this note inside.





Later she realized that Mother's Day is coming up this weekend and she was all upset that she didn't save her special gift for Mother's Day. I very truthfully assured her that it meant just as much or more to me on that day as it would on Mother's Day. It is these kind of loving thoughts and gestures that I hope I do frequently enough for my husband, mother, and father that when their "special day" comes around, they already know how much I love and care for them.

No comments: