Thursday, February 17, 2011

VALENTINE'S DAY

I have a friend who likes to make a big deal out of minor holidays. Although I don't feel the same way, I am always amazed at how much time and effort goes into minor holidays. Valentine's Day was no exception. Unfortunately, most of it was for the kids. Garth and I hardly acknowledged it.
Here is what we did.
The Friday before, the kids' school put on a Valentine's Family Dance. It was actually pretty fun. I loved watching all of these uninhibited kids cutting a rug with their friends. They also had karaoke, which of course Carter was all over! He and his friends chose "You Belong to Me" by Taylor Swift. It really cracked me up to see these 4 boys singing such a girly song.

Saturday Garth and I got to sneak away to Coeur d' Alene (thanks to Jordan and Kailee for free babysitting). We went to dinner with Scott and Judy, some friends we met over the summer. It wasn't overly romantic but there were lots of laughs over dinner.

Then of course there were various heart hairdo's and matching pink outfits.

Finally on Valentines day I was in charge of Carter's class party. We did a Valentine spin on Minute to Win It games. . . don't blow the heart, balloons in the air, fanning a ping pong ball with a valentine plate, lifting lifesavers with a toothpick etc.
They were all fun, but the most entertaining was "face the cookie." I laughed so hard watching the kids twitch, wiggle, and scrunch their faces to try to get a cookie from their forehead into their mouth.

No comments: