Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spotlight Competition

This thing called competitive dance has reared it’s ugly head in Sydney’s life.  I walked into her first competition very green, not knowing what to expect.  I was baffled at the amounts of makeup, hairspray, glitter, personal traveling vanities, and shimmery costumes in the dressing room.  Some of the “dance moms” made me want to crawl away and hide.  I looked at girls doing multiple group dances, solos, duos, Miss Photogenic, Miss Spotlight etc, etc, etc, and I couldn’t help but add up all the money their parents had dropped on this ONE DAY of competition.  I was ready to swear it all off until. . .Sydney got on stage.  She was beaming, she was having a blast, she had the most adorable facial expressions and she remembered every move, they won a trophy and were so proud of their success.  I was hooked.  I still think it’s a little crazy and way too expensive but when you see your child find “their thing” that they love and are good at, it’s hard not to jump in and do whatever it takes for them to continue.  Here we are killing time backstage.                                                                                               002004

Warming up

005006

Accepting their trophy

009

No comments: