Thursday, April 21, 2011

People I Admire #1

Shelli Abrams
(If you wonder why I am writing about Shelli, you can read this post)


When I first met Shelli, I was honestly a little intimidated. We worked together in the Young Women organization at church and she was a hard read for me. Although very friendly, she was pretty quiet and private. I would sit in meetings and wonder "does she love my ideas or hate them?" She had recently had her 4th baby and was super put-together all of the time it seemed.

For the last two and a half years, Shelli has been one of my counselors in the Primary presidency. She is just as put-together as I once thought she was, but I now know how warm and wonderful she is as well.

Shelli DOES so much. She is the mother of 4 boys and a beautiful baby girl. She has a vinyl lettering business and participates in a co-op preschool. I admire her incredible food storage, her couponing skills and the way she bakes her own bread.

What inspires me though, is the person she is. She knows and truly cares about each child in our Primary. She always seems to know what is going on in their lives but is the furthest thing from a busy body. I am impressed by how smart her children are, which she would never take credit for, but I know that she constantly teaches them about the gospel in her home. The thing that most inspires me about Shelli is her commitment to her family. The first time Garth and I went out to dinner with Shelli and her husband Conrad, we asked them what they do for fun. Their answer was "family." They spend so much quality time together and truly enjoy each other. Because I know Shelli, I want to be more loving, and I am striving to have the level of Christ-like life and Christ-centered home she creates.

No comments: